July 28, 2020
Public Sector Innovation Requires Leveraging Managed Service Providers, Automation Platforms and Workforce 4.0
Technology is imperative but retaining and training talent will be crucial
Enterprise IT has changed drastically over the years and is still constantly changing as technology is moving faster than ever. To keep up with the pace of change, the public sector must leverage innovation and modernized technologies in their digital transformation journey to become more efficient, automated, and secure – so they can ultimately support their teams, customers, and most importantly, the citizens of our nation.
The challenge that most agencies face is finding the right talent, the right partners, and the right technology to facilitate the transformation securely and in an agile way. Focusing on “people first, mission always” with emphasis on technology partnerships with industry and academia will help drive a successful digital transformation.
Managed Services and Automation Accelerates Digital Transformation
Partnering with the right Managed Service Providers (MSPs) is critical. A good MSP focuses on the people, processes and tools, and can deliver IT services in a FedRAMP authorized environment where IT tasks are completed and optimized using standardized, battle-tested, factory-like playbooks and automated workflows powered by a high-performance, intelligent service delivery platform.
1901 Group is at the epicenter of four (4) mega trends that focuses on 1. managed services, 2. migration to the cloud, 3. workforce development, and 4. geographic rotation to support digital transformation.
“1901 Group is uniquely positioned for this transformation, as we have built substantial cloud migration, modernization, security, and operations capacity all in a managed services model – which delivers real value to our customers in terms of resilience and simplification of enterprise IT,” said Sonu Singh, CEO and Founder in a press release.
Workforce of the Future 4.0 Transforms Economy
The in-demand jobs for IT and cloud computing continues to grow rapidly and both public sector and industry need to focus on how to find and grow the Workforce of the Future 4.0 to support government’s IT priorities.
The Workforce of the Future 4.0 has two ideas: look beyond the beltway and into rural areas to find fresh talent, and cross-train people to work on a broad range of IT implementation. Combining the geographic rotation and workforce developments provides a steady talent pipeline to support the transformation and can drive better economic results.
“A platform that can deliver from one to many customers is more efficient for customers, and it’s also completely feasible with today’s technology. Agencies are supported by a workforce that can plug in and cross-fertilize across those functions and can grow as the platform grows. As we add more automation in the platform, we’re freeing up more labor to do more design and engineering work,” said George Batsakis, EVP and Chief Strategy Officer of 1901 Group in an interview with WashingtonExec.
Public Sector and MSPs Collaboration Drives Innovation
The public sector must work together with MSPs who have the experience and skills to migrate to the cloud and can deliver IT services in a FedRAMP authorized environment to drive innovation for today and for the future.
“Federal agencies are excited to see real progress migrating to the cloud and modernizing their enterprise IT all while accelerating deployment, improving performance, and enhancing security,” said Brendan Walsh, SVP of Partner Relations of 1901 Group in a press release with Red Hat.
“Working in FISMA and FedRAMP environments takes specialized expertise and experience. Red Hat supports the collaboration with 1901 Group, and we believe our collective successes within the federal market demonstrate a positive example to other agencies of efficient cloud migration, improved cybersecurity, and cost-effective IT modernization,” said Tricia Fitzmaurice, Director, National Security Programs and Federal Law Enforcement, Red Hat.
- TechTarget: Cloud Integration Services Emerge as Partner Opportunity
- Virginia Case Study: 1901 Group Spotlighted in Talent Approach, Relationship with VTCRC, and our Collaboration with Partners to Grow the Economy
- Augusta Free Press: VDVS Honors Employers for Commitment to Virginia Values Veterans Program
- CBS19 News: Companies Recognized for Hiring of Veterans, Military Spouses
- EIN Presswire: Virginia Employers Recognized For Hiring Veterans And Military Spouses, Virginia Department of Veterans Services Presents Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Awards During 2021 Virtual Virginia Veterans and Military Conference
- Royal Examiner: Virginia employers recognized for hiring Veterans and Military spouses
- RBTC: Roanoke-Blacksburg Technology Council Celebrates Innovation and Community at TechNite
- Washington Technology: How to Move Tech from Disruptive to Sustainable
- National Cyber Security News Today: How to Move Tech from Disruptive to Sustainable
- Virginia Business: State Pushes Broadband Expansion into Overdrive
- TechTarget: Microsoft Inspire 2021 takes on 'era of rapid change'
- AWS Institute: Bridging the Digital Divide Through Upskilling and Digital Inclusion
- TechTarget: Selling professional services on cloud marketplaces
- TechTarget: Outcome-Based Contracting Sees Uptick During Pandemic
- TechTarget: IoT integration services evolve in maturing market
- Washington County, VA Economic Development: Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
- G2Xchange FedCiv: 3 Not So Obvious Reasons Feds Are Consuming More Enterprise IT-as-a-Service
- ExecutiveGov: James Geurts: DOD Officials Ramp Up Efforts to Improve Procurement Process
- GovConWire: Accenture Federal Services Managing Director Bill Marion Moderates Expert Panel for Potomac Officers Club’s 2021 Navy Forum
- Digital Journal: Healthcare IT Integration Market Size, Share, Industry Growth, Trend, Business Opportunities, Challenges, Drivers and Restraint Research Report by 2027
- TechTarget: Unified communications managed services evolve amid pandemic
- TechTarget: Third-wave cloud consultants take on larger scope of services
- Governing: Creating a Culture of Lifelong Learning for the Workforce
- TechTarget: Federal technology upgrade could see cyber, SaaS outlay
- TechTarget: Channel execs share tech talent recruitment tips
- WashingtonExec: WATCH: Leidos’ Gerry Fasano on Recent Acquisition, Contract Win and Marketplace Outlook
- WashingtonExec: It’s More than Just Job Creation — It’s Our National Security
- TechTarget: Cloud storage reseller or consumer? Partners face market shift
- TechTarget: Top 5 MSP challenges in the 2021 business climate
- WashingtonExec: Pinnacle Award Finalist Tricia Long: ‘Stay Proactive, Positive And Energetic’
- TechTarget: Predicting 7 MSP trends in technology for 2021
- WashingtonExec: What is the GovCon ‘Workforce of the Future’ and Why Do We Need It Now?
- Virginia Technology Today: Podcast Guest's Sonu Singh. Founder and CEO of the 1901 Group | Part 2
- AWS: Building Cloud Skills and Jobs in Rural America
- Virginia Technology Today: Podcast Guest's Sonu Singh. Founder and CEO of the 1901 Group | Part 1
- The News and Advance: Northam Turns to Far Southwest Virginia During Economic Recovery Tour
- Roanoke Times: Northam Turns to Far Southwest Virginia During Economic Recovery Tour
- The Business Journal: Northam Conducts COVID Roundtable with Southwest Virginia Business, Government Leaders
- Times News: “Heavy lift”: Area Business, Government, Education Leaders Share Challenges of Pandemic with Northam
- Roanoke Times: Now in Sight, The Vue to Add to Blacksburg Housing
- Blog: AWS Institute Virtual Video Panel: Building Cloud Skills and Jobs in Rural America
- Washington Technology: PODCAST: PROJECT 38: Your Next Big Tech Hub Might Be in Rural America
- TechTarget: Gartner forecasts RPA software growth, $1.58B market
- WDBJ News 7: ’NRV Mask Makers’ Facebook Group helps lead to the creation of 10,000 masks
- Washington Technology: Don't overlook rural America for your next great IT hub
- WashingtonExec: What is the GovCon ‘Workforce of the Future’ and Why Do We Need It Now?
- CRN: Equinix Ups Its Google Cloud Game With Premier Partner Status
- CIO Applications: 1901 Group CEO Delivers a Speech about Powering through COVID-19 at the Baird 2020 Virtual Private Company Technology & Services Conference
- New College Institute: New College Institute to Offer Amazon Web Services Training in Southern Virginia
- HR Tech Outlook: George Batsakis Speaks at CNBC Event on Automation
- WashingtonExec: Tomorrow’s Workforce Relies on GovCons Taking Proactive Role in Talent Management
- G2Xchange: G2X Industry Exchange with 1901 Group: Lessons Learned and How Industry Can Support Government Post COVID-19
- WCYB News 5: WCYB News: VA Ready Program Retrains Unemployed, Partners Businesses with Community Colleges
- Virginia Career Works Podcast: VA Ready and 1901 Group Partnership Grows the Southwest Virginia Workforce
- TechTarget: Pandemic Influences IT Staffing Trends
- ExecutiveGov: 1901 Group Partners with VA Ready to Provide Job Training in Lieu of COVID-19
- Virginia Business: Community Colleges Partner to Get Virginias Back to Work
- Roanoke Times: VA Ready Aims to Help Out-of-Work Virginians Get Back into a Job
- G2Xchange: Meet the 2020 NXT UP – Mid-Year Review
- The Central Virginian: Virginia Ready Initiative Incentivizes Retraining to get Virginians Back to Work
- WashingtonExec: GovCons Partner with Virginia Ready Initiative
- Roanoke Times: How summer internships are surviving COVID-19
- NextGov: 3 Reasons to Double up on Emerging Technology Training During Crises
- Virginia Business: Will telework replace the office?
- InsideNova: 1901 Group Achieves AWS Managed Service Provider (MSP) Designation
- Roanoke Times: Wampler – The Appalachian-American pivot
- Case Study: 1901 Group Expands Corporate Footprint with Third Virginia Location
- SWVAtoday: How local businesses are weathering the economic storm
- Blog: Key Takeaways from the AWS Public Sector Partner Virtual Experience
- American Security Today: What Happens After COVID-19 Lessons are Learned?
- WJHL News: 1901 Group to deliver job opportunities in SWVA, COVID-19 hasn't stopped progress
- NextGov: Is the Fourth Industrial Revolution a Silver Lining?
- ExecutiveGov: 1901 Group Secures Subcontract to Provide IT Operations, Engineering, Enhancement Support Services to GAO
- The Business Journal: 1901 Group expands operations to Washington County, VA
- WashingtonExec: How GovCon is Responding to COVID-19, 1901 Group
- GovDataDownload: 3 Tips for Disaster Recovery Plans in the Wake of a Pandemic
- Virginia Career Works Podcast: Preparing the IT Talent Pipeline
- WTOP: IT company to expand in far southwest Virginia
- US News & World Report: IT Company to Expand in Far Southwest Virginia
- AreaDevelopment: 1901 Group Opens Operations Center in Washington County, Virginia
- Press Release: Griffith Welcomes 1901 Group’s Plan to Create 150 New Jobs, Invest $1.15 Million in Washington County
- Richmond Times-Dispatch: IT company to expand in far southwest VirginiaVirginia Business: 1901 Group expanding into Washington County
- Washington Times: IT company to expand in far southwest Virginia
- Foreign Affairs: Griffith Welcomes 1901 Group’s Plan to Create 150 New Jobs, Invest $1.15 Million in Washington County
- WCYB News 5: IT company expected to bring 150 jobs to Washington County, Virginia
- WJHL News 11: Virginia Governor announces IT services company bringing 150 new jobs to Washington County
- Roanoke Times: Tech firm with Blacksburg ties expands further into SW Virginia
- Press Release: Governor Northam Announces 1901 Group to Establish 3rd Virginia Operation
- Press Release: 1901 Group to Establish 3rd Virginia Operation in Washington County, Creating 150 New Jobs
- Video: Virginia's New River Valley – Tech Jobs in the NRV: Work Hard. Play Hard
- Cohesity: theCube Interviews at AWS re:Invent
- ExecutiveGov: 1901 Group Promotes Career Path Opportunities to VA Tech ISE Graduates
- Cohesity: 1901 Group Reduces Costs by 35% and Sees 115x Deduplication & Compression
- Washington Exec: The Tipping Point for AI in the Federal Market is Here Today — and Leverage is to Blame
- Clearance Jobs: Dealing w/ Complexity of IT Modernization - Building Better Disaster Recovering & Backup
- ClearedCast Podcast: Government Data Collection Increases Demand for Disaster Recovery
- Clearance Jobs: How DoD’s New Cybersecurity Rules Affect Government Contractors
- Virginia Business: Reston IT provider 1901 Group names executive VP
- Clearance Jobs: As Tech Workers Hit the Federal Pay Ceiling – Will They Stay?
- FCEDA: Fairfax County E-Bird for January 7, 2020
- Roanoke Times: Longtime leader of VA Tech Corporate Research Center to retire
- Clearance Jobs: 2020 Cleared Jobs Outlook - What Goes Away, What Stays?
- Clearance Jobs: Top Tech Trends of 2019 - From AI & Cloud to Cyber Insurance & Election Security
- Onward NRV: Onward NRV Partners with VEDP to Host Media Tour
- CRN: New AWS Awards Single Out Public Sector APN Members
- Virginia Business: 100 people to meet in 2020
- Washington Exec: 2019 Top 10 CEOs to Watch
- siliconANGLE: Q&A: Federal agencies modernize backup, DR strategies with hybrid IT infrastructure
- Technical.ly: Competition or opportunity... How VT execs feel about Amazon HQ2 coming to NoVa
- theCUBE: Brendan Walsh sits down with Justin Warren & John Walls for AWS re:Invent 2019
- Virginia Tech: Industry advisers see promising ways to expand IT sector in rural Virginia
- Fierce Electronics: Amazon’s HQ2 Arrival Touches Old Virginia Coal Mining Country
- Virginia Tech: Sonu Singh - Building State's Tech Talent Pool More Important Than Ever
- WSLS News: New River Valley growth, 800 more IT jobs expected
- TCN: 1901 Group Provides 24×7 Managed Services, Cybersecurity, Management...
- Blacksburg Expansion Groundbreaking: Ceremony News Coverage, Photos, and Information
- Clearance Jobs: The State of BYOD: The Pros and Cons of Using Your Personal Phone for Work
- Washington Exec: Why are STEM and Cloud Services so Important to Rural America?
- Virginia Business: Bringing the world to their doorstep
- Virginia Business: Highlanders rising
- Roanoke Times: Tech savvy girls from around the world come to Blacksburg
- CRN: Microsoft-ServiceNow Deal is ‘Huge’ Channel Opportunity
- ExecutiveBiz: 1901 Group Awarded Government Competency Status as AWS Partner
- CRN: Lawmakers Seek Improved Cyber Safeguards With IoT Security Bill
- American Security Today: Quality Clouds Improve Citizen Safety
- AWS Partner Network: Say Hello to 79 New AWS Competency, MSP, and Service Delivery Partners Added in May
- Amazon AWS: 20 Public Sector Partners Achieve Government and Education Competencies
- Clearance Jobs: Need to Hire Cyber Talent? Look Beyond the Nation’s Capital
- Clearance Jobs: Understanding the Contractor Performance Assessment Reporting System
- CityBizList: Peace Corps Awards 1901 Group Prime Contract for Data Center Relocation Services
- CRN: Federal-Focused MSP Finds Groove In Hybrid Offering
- Clearance Jobs: White House Executive Order Aims to Improve the Cybersecurity Workforce
- Webmagspace: Interview with CEO 1901 Group – Sonu Singh
- Roanoke Times: Torc CEO encourages leaders to celebrate more wins ahead of annual technology banquet
- FCEDA: Fairfax County E-Bird for April 25, 2019
- NextGov: Automation’s Impact Today Goes Well Beyond the Obvious
- Washington Exec: 1901 Group Snags Spot on $2.5B SEC Contract
- Clearance Jobs: Partnering with Local Universities to Grow Tomorrow’s Tech Talent
- Clearance Jobs: Virginia Has Second Highest Concentration of Tech Workers
- WashingtonExec: 1901 Group Hires Bob Beck, Zack Orchant for DOD, DHS Business Development
- Clearance Jobs: Is There Really a Cybersecurity Talent Shortage?
- Virginia Career Works Podcast: IT Careers in Virginia - Opportunities and Trends
- FCEDA: 1901 Group thrives with a platform that reduces costs and promotes migration to the cloud
- Virginia Tech Daily: Blacksburg growth to fuel Innovation Campus
- Virginia Business: ‘The next big trend’
- Virginia Business: High tech, high dollar
- Virginia Business: Besides Amazon
- CRN: Automate Or Die: Why IT Services Automation Is Critical For Channel Success
- Roanoke Times: Low unemployment rate putting pressure on local companies in search of workers
- Radford University: Radford partners with 1901 Group to enhance tech talent pipeline
- AWS Public Sector: PTP Video Testimonial - Sonu Singh, CEO of 1901 Group
- WashingtonExec: 1901 Group Partners with Radford University to Help IT Students Prep for Jobs of the Future
- Roanoke Times: Amazon’s impact: Hundreds of new jobs, higher enrollment at Virginia Tech
- WashingtonExec: 2019 Market Outlook: Sonu Singh on Hybrid Cloud, Academia, and Talent Retention
- WashingtonExec: 1901 Group Named ‘Advanced Consulting Partner’ by AWS
- Clearance Jobs: How to Develop Soft Skills in Cybersecurity Professionals
- Clearance Jobs: What Contractors and Government Employees Should Do During the Government Shutdown
- Clearance Jobs: What the Government Shutdown Means for Contractors
- Washington Business Journal: Government Contractor to watch: Meet 1901 Group
- WVFT Radio: “Collaboration Culture” Builds Businesses at VTCRC Center
- Clearance Jobs: Finding a Workaround to the Defense Talent Shortage
- WashingtonExec: 1901 Group Investment to Expand Will Bring New Jobs
- Government Matters: Impact of the Cloud Smart Strategy on Industry
- CRN: Amazon Intros Intelligent Tiering to Optimize Cost
- FCEDA: 1901 Group to expand in Fairfax and Montgomery Counties, create 805 new jobs
- VEDP: Governor Northam Announces 805 New Jobs in Montgomery and Fairfax Counties
- WashingtonExec: What’s Behind A Successful Approach to Cloud?
- AWS Guest Blog: Focus First: “How” and “Where” to Start Application Migration
- Fairfax County Economic Development Authority: 1901 Group Spotlight
- CRN, NetApp Channel Connect: CEO Kurian Tells Partners NetApp Ready To Lead In Cloud, HCI, Flash
- Interconnections: How Government Goes All-in On the Cloud
- WashingtonExec: New EVPs
- Washington Technology: Promotes Pair of Execs
- Washington Business Journal: Enlightenment Capital Investments
- Washington Technology: Privates Equity Group Takes Stake in Managed Services Provider
- Data Sheet: Proven Tactics to Handle Evidentiary Information in the Cloud
- White Paper: Cloud Considerations for Managing Evidentiary Information
Sonu is the founder of 1901 Group and corporate leader responsible for our strategic vision, innovative business model, and financial performance.
EVP and Chief Strategy Officer
George leads the company’s overall corporate development and strategy planning process and provides expertise in executive management, operations, new business development, emerging technology and technology partnership.
EVP, Business Development
Paul leads Business Development, Capture Management, Marketing, and Channel Partners. Paul provides leadership for 1901 Group’s growth initiatives by supporting the development of new markets and services.
EVP, Operations and Engineering
James brings over 25 years of industry experience to 1901 with a focus on delivering Information Technology business solutions and managed services.
SVP, Talent Strategy & Human Resources
Dana is the leader of our Human Capital Management function for providing organizational growth, performance, and profitability.
SVP, Partner Relations
Brendan leads our partner relations and management efforts and supports business development activities in addition to establishing strategic business alliances with leading cloud service providers and security solutions.
SVP, Service Management
Brian leads the development and management of our service offerings and brings great value in aligning our growth and delivery activities while ensuring profitability.